Job Role -- Sales Associate
Open role: Sales associate (Saturdays 10:30am-4:30pm, but often just 11am-4pm)
Date posted: 5/24/2023 Start Date: As early as Saturday, June 3rd
Compensation: $16-$18//hour, depending on experience, for 5-6 hours every Saturday. If possible, flexibility to pick up additional shifts as needed.
Rooted Living offers a curated selection of practical and beautiful home and gift items that are thoughtfully sourced, with an emphasis on items that are eco-friendly, fair trade, or from local businesses. We also support our community in getting started with unplugged hobbies through workshops like yoga, candle making, macrame, houseplant care, embroidery, and floral design. Our customers range from houseplant enthusiasts (Rooted Living is the evolution of Rooted, a houseplant store) to people of all ages looking for deeper connection to nature, their creativity, and a more intentional life.
Who you are
- You value living a sustainable, mindful life in a way that embraces continual learning and imperfection. In the words of Margaret Mead, ‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.’ This is what we value, and we hope you do too.
- You know and love houseplants. You will enthusiastically and supportively guide customers to the right plant for their situation.
- You care about small businesses! At the center of Rooted Living is connecting small businesses to aligned customers to help both sides thrive. You have strong customer service, sales skills, and the ability to connect genuinely with folks from many walks of life.
- You are comfortable working alone and approach your position at the store with an entrepreneurial spirit. If you are looking for a role where you can spend time on your phone or with a book, this is not it. When not helping customers, you will actively engage with the additional tasks described below.
- Make every customer feel valued by welcoming them when they enter, building rapport through engaged conversation, and selling through genuine recommendations. For example, you will help customers create gift packages and share upcoming community workshops. This requires the ability to balance the needs of several customers at once so that we can build long-lasting relationships with our community.
- Maintain the environment through cleaning, organizing, and restocking as needed. Rooted living aims to be a space that feels good to be in, so good that customers can’t help but say, “I want to live here!” Keeping the environment fresh and well organized helps to support our ideal atmosphere: inviting, supportive, and connected.
- Water and clean up plants as needed.
- Handle monetary transactions using a point-of-sale system and thoughtfully wrap gift items.
- Carry detailed understanding of our curated goods (including the brands and their stories) and our community workshops and naturally promote these to customers.
- Demonstrate accountability in all areas, from arriving on time to closing the store. Seek feedback and opportunities to improve and elevate your skills and knowledge.
- Perform routine inventory counts and carry out other store administrative tasks as directed by Lynn.
How to apply
Please send a short cover letter explaining your interest and experience and an updated resume in an email with the subject line ‘Rooted Living Sales Associate’ to email@example.com.
Rooted Living provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.